Re: Issues w/ 7.1 to 7.2 upgrade.

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Diehl, Jeffrey" <jdiehl(at)sandia(dot)gov>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues w/ 7.1 to 7.2 upgrade.
Date: 2002-02-20 03:38:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

Mike,

> I just upgraded from 7.1 to 7.2, mainly because of the facts that
> vacuum
> doesn't do table locks and I thought that "replace into" would be in
> 7.2.
>
> Anyway, I don't see that "replace into" is there...

Nope. I hadn't had the impression from the list traffic that the
developers ever considered letting in this bit of non-standard SQL.
While it's undoubtedly useful, it's not in the SQL 92 spec and a
*lot* of extra programming would be required to support it (for
example, those of us who use UPDATE and INSERT triggers might find
ourselves re-writing them all).

Remember: If you really, really want "replace into", Postgres *is* an
open-source database. You are always welcome to hack your own
"replace into" patch.

> Also, I noticed a slight difference that caught me off guard:
>
> If I try to insert '1234567890' into a varchar(5) under 7.1, the
> value of
> the field will be '12345'.
>
> If I try it under 7.2, I get an error.

Another annoying change per the spec, I believe. Personally, this
change made me happy because unexpected truncations had previously
escaped my notice. But it did lead to a spate of emergency bug fixes
in my code.

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533