Re: Replacing "LIKE" with "="

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sharmad(at)goatelecom(dot)com, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replacing "LIKE" with "="
Date: 2001-12-10 19:43:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

Sharmad,

> Can I replace a query statement having a "LIKE" with a statement
> having "="
> still getting the same functionality
>
> Like for ex:-
> SELECT * from teble_name WHERE name LIKE "%name%";

You cannot.

WIthin the SQL standard, you must use "LIKE" if you want to use
wildcards. PostgreSQL also supports the Regular Expression operator "~"
which does a different kind of pattern matching. See "Functions and
Operators" in the online PostgreSQL documentation, or purchase a copy of
"PostgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts".

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533