Re: Where do I start

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Nation" <ANation(at)Compuserve(dot)Com>, "Pgsql-Novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Where do I start
Date: 2001-11-29 16:36:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

Andrew,

> We are thinking of redeveloping our 500 program text based SOP POP
> Stock etc
> application that uses 2000 flat files.

About time! :-)

> We think we want to use Linux / Postgres & as a for the lanuage we
> have no
> idea although someone here has suggested C.

You could also use Java, Tcl, C++, PHP, and/or Perl depending on what
your needs are and what programmers you have. Python and Kylix/Delphi
also have good DB interfaces. Smalltalk even has its adherents. Heck,
you could run it on Win 2000 and use VB.NET (but I wouldn't reccomend it
for sake of your sanity).

> Does anyone know any good books to buy

Yes. See http://techdocs.postgresql.org/bookreviews.php
Particularly Wrox Press's book seems suited to your needs.

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533