Re: Too much postmaster prozesses / CPU near 100%

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Roth, Michael J(dot)" <MichaelRoth(at)schmuecker(dot)de>, "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Too much postmaster prozesses / CPU near 100%
Date: 2001-10-26 20:05:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

Michael,

> first excuse my bad english (my german is better :) ).

It's okay -- my German is terrible, so we're even.

> If 2 users connects the postmaster forks 30 (!!)
> processes, and they do never die.
> If 50 Users connects, over 300 postmaster-processes running
> and the CPU-States are nearly 100%, so we must stop and
> start the postmaster or reboot the server.

There are issues with PHP persistent connections and PostgreSQL which
cause exactly the problem you're having. They are fixable, but involve
some tradeoffs.

Go to the PGSQL-PHP list archives and comb through them; much of the
discussion for the past year has been about persistent. pooled, and
other connection strategies. See:
http://archives2.us.postgresql.org/pgsql-php/

You also may wish to join the PGSQL-PHP list, as well as the PGSQL-SQL
list.

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533