Re: Press release ready?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: greg(at)turnstep(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Press release ready?
Date: 2002-11-25 16:52:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Greg,

> I don't see how we can attribute this to anyone but Joe. Doing
> otherwise would be disingenuous at best.

That's not an option. Joe does not want his name going to the press.

Also, false attribution of quotes is a common practice in press
releases; in fact, Tom initially asked me to just make something up and
attribute it to him. My creativity failed, which was why I got a
specific quote from him.

Neil has agreed to own this quote if Peter E. is unreachable or doesn't
want to.

> > "The best has gotten even better" -- does the wording on this need
> > be changed? Should it be dropped?
>
> I am in favor of it being dropped completely:

OK, fine with me. We've had a number of objections to this; it will be
cut.

> > Final release may be as soon as wednesday. I move that we freeze
> > all changes to the press release tommorrow AM, and go with it.
>
> I disagree for two reasons: 1) I was out of town this weekend, and
> not able to reply until this morning. :) 2) This is a press
> release and not a program - I think last minute changes should
> always be acceptable: if there is a need to change something,
> let's do it. We only get one shot at this.

You're forgetting that this needs to be translated into several
languages. The translators need a final version to work with -- at
least a day before the release. Further, we'll need to prep it for
e-mail out. So we need as much time as possible.

Actually, a press release is a *lot* like a program in the need for
"feature freeze" and coordinated timing.

Justin, as the Advocacy Admin, I'm asking you to declare an end to
tinkering as soon as the current changes are in and we have quote
attribution. We really cannot afford to have the release go out a
week after the 7.3.

-Josh Berkus