Re: function does not exist error...

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Dan Jewett <danjewett(at)mac(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: function does not exist error...
Date: 2002-11-21 21:33:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dan,

> Can someone help me figure out why my trigger can't meet my function?
> Other than the obvious reason that I'm a total beginner, and I don't
> know what the heck I'm doing. :-)

Welcome to the NOVICE list, then.

> After I got the CreateTrigger error, I reran the CreateFunction query
> just to see what would happen:
>
> recordings=> CREATE FUNCTION check_participant(varchar) RETURNS
> opaque AS '

Here's your problem; you've created a function with a varchar parameter

> ERROR: CreateTrigger: function check_participant() does not exist

... and you're then calling it with no parameters. check_participant()
and check_participant('some string') are two different functions, as
would be check_participant(Numeric, Int) if you created it.

However, the function you have is otherwise inappropriate; it returns
values to the screen (not possible with a trigger), takes a parameter,
and does not return NEW. What are you trying to do, exactly?

-Josh Berkus