Re: Welcome! (test)

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Welcome! (test)
Date: 2002-10-24 20:21:12
Lists: sfpug

Hi, Laurette,

> But seriously, though I am self-described as very independent, I do
> work
> full time for a small company in Emeryville, NextBus, as their
> DBA/Engineer (we were originally a team of 3 but now it's just
> me...and
> I'll definitely keep you in mind Josh if we (read: I) need some help
> ;.).

Thanks. Fortunately (for me), with approximately 10 Postgres tuning
experts in the world, I'm not kicking my heels.

> We make use of AVL data (obtained via a GPS that reports positions
> over CDPD)
> to track the vehicles. Based on the route data and tweaking based on
> the continuous reports from the vehicles, we predict when that darn
> thing
> will be at the next stop(s). And it works. Very well. These
> predictions
> can be used via the web (www.nextbus.com), a wireless device (phone
> or pda)
> and perhaps some day, some kind of device you can put on your kitchen
> table).

Yeah. My only problem with NextBus is that we need the darn LED
displays on *most* of the bus lines, not just the 22 and the N.
Especially the F and the 43, darn it! <grin>

> My goal: to learn Postgresql internals. Perhaps this group can help
> in
> that area. I would love to see some Postgresql courses written and
> taught...
> and wouldn't mind doing that..but would like to start to learn the
> inner
> workings better first.

Sounds like a topic for our first in-person meeting. Hey, I'm going to
be in Emeryville tommorrow; if my appointment runs short, want me to
drop by? Would be about 2pm.

-Josh Berkus