Re: Welcome! (test)

From: Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Welcome! (test)
Date: 2002-10-24 20:47:17
Lists: sfpug

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Hi, Laurette,
>

> > We make use of AVL data (obtained via a GPS that reports positions
> > over CDPD)
> > to track the vehicles. Based on the route data and tweaking based on
> > the continuous reports from the vehicles, we predict when that darn
> > thing
> > will be at the next stop(s). And it works. Very well. These
> > predictions
> > can be used via the web (www.nextbus.com), a wireless device (phone
> > or pda)
> > and perhaps some day, some kind of device you can put on your kitchen
> > table).
>
> Yeah. My only problem with NextBus is that we need the darn LED
> displays on *most* of the bus lines, not just the 22 and the N.
> Especially the F and the 43, darn it! <grin>

Yes, but the decision to put up signs falls on the transit agency. They
have to pay for them. Also, we just recently got the contract, before we
were doing a demo for them on the 22 Filmore and muni-metro lines only.
So, now you should start to see more get rolled out as the project moves
forward. Feedback to them is always a good thing.

> > My goal: to learn Postgresql internals. Perhaps this group can help
> > in
> > that area. I would love to see some Postgresql courses written and
> > taught...
> > and wouldn't mind doing that..but would like to start to learn the
> > inner
> > workings better first.
>
> Sounds like a topic for our first in-person meeting. Hey, I'm going to
> be in Emeryville tommorrow; if my appointment runs short, want me to
> drop by? Would be about 2pm.

Unfortunately, I am taking tomorrow off to go camping far away from it all.
I need the break. Perhaps another time!

Thanks,

--
Laurette Cisneros