Re: Temporary tables and indexes

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Temporary tables and indexes
Date: 2002-10-09 04:49:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tom,

> > I'm kind of surprised that it's possible to index a temporary
> table.
> > There's not much point in doing so.
>
> Why not? You seem to be equating "temporary" with "small", but I
> don't
> see why that must be so.

Nah. I'm equating "temporary" with "query twice and throw away", which
isn't necessarily what everyone else does.

BTW, Ludwig, in postgresql versions < 7.2.0, I noticed that sometimes
indexes didn't seem to completely go away (i.e. I would get a name
conflict if I tried to drop & re-create in the same transaction)
without a VACUUM. If you're using 7.1.3, you should upgrade for this
reason.

-Josh Berkus