Re: case-(in)sensitive Server

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Daniel Grob <dgrob(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: case-(in)sensitive Server
Date: 2002-06-13 16:25:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

Daniel,

> we are here using PostgreSQl 7.1.3 on SUSe 6.4 with Windows 2000
> Clients via
> ODBC. When I now try to search with OpenOffice 1.0 (from the Client)
> for
> "Test" and its written "test" I cant't found it.
> I know that I can search case insensitive in the SQL-Prompt (found
> serveral
> examples).

Well, you've come to the right place. I'm on both projects ...
PostgreSQL and OpenOffice.org.

First off, you're in desperate need of an upgrade, both for the SuSE OS
and (somewhat less so) for PostgreSQL. This is not, however, related
to your problem.

> But my Problem is: The people from the sales dept. use OpenOffice and
> they
> use the integrated Search.
>
> My Question is: Can I make the Postgres Server case-insensitive? -
> And if
> yes, how?

No, you cannot change the server. PostgreSQL is UNIX-based, and UNIX
is a case-sensitive system. And, as you are using the OpenOffice.org
built-in search tool, you do not have the opportunity to replace "="
with "ILIKE".

Jan, Tom, is there any way that he could do this with RULEs? It seems
like there should be some way, but I can't figure it out.

As I am on the dba.OpenOffice.org project, I would also be interested
in having your input for the DBA project. We are currently
overhauling database access in OpenOffice.org 1.0, and would dearly
appreciate the input of someone, like you, who is using it in a
production environment.

-Josh Berkus
agliodbs(at)openoffice(dot)org