Re: Where info on new releases?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Where info on new releases?
Date: 2001-10-17 15:33:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

Mr. Reyes,

> Actually I am not trying to get the latest release (which is what I
> saw,
> not version). Basically I follow PostgreSQL through the FreeBSD
> ports.
> When the port maintainer updates it I then go to the postgreSQL site
> and
> try to find what is new.

Well, try joining pgsql-announce. It's a fairly easy way to keep up to
date.

> I am a firm believer in distribution of task. My current project with
> PostgreSQL is trying to convince my boss to use it. With the kind of
> money
> we pay for Hardware to run Oracle + License we could have hired
> someone
> full time to work on enhancing PostgreSQL.

Good luck. Great Bridge used to have this terrific presentation about
who is using Postgres for this kind of presentation. The only one I
remember from this was the Federal Aviation Administration Weather
Service. But there were more ... unfortunately, two I can't talk about
due to NDA's. Dammit! One company has an online scheduling program
with 50,000 users on Postgres, and the other is running a case inquiry
system for 100 attornies.

Also point out to your boss that both Oracle and Informix are based on
older versions of Postgres.

> Yes. In TV one can easily convince one's boss to go with the right
> tool
> and not have people to go with Oracle "because it has large market
> share
> and they will be around".

You could also point out to your boss that PostgreSQL has been around
and under development for 20 years, making it more durable than Oracle.
Further, you can point out that Oracle is tied to one company, whereas
with PostgreSQL you can hire whomever you want to service it.

However, if your boss is a trade magazine addict, he may not be
interested in arguments. I'm reminded of the caption to a Dilbert
cartoon:

Boss: "Dilbert, we need a SQL server database."
Dilbert thinks: "Hmmm, does he know what he's talking about, or did he
see this in a trade magazine?"
Dilbert asks: "What color should that SQL server be, boss?"
Boss: "Blue."
Dilbert: "I'll get right on it."

Frankly, I live for the day a client tells me they want Oracle, I
install Postgres and pocket the Oracle license fee. Not today, though.

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 2 bytes