Re: Database structure

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Peter Goggin" <pgoggin(at)smartchat(dot)net(dot)au>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database structure
Date: 2002-05-09 15:05:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

Peter,

> I have had a number of years experience with Oracle. I am
> considering using Postgresql but while there is an enourmous amount
> of documentation available, none of it seems to answer some questions
> which I have to resolve if I am to use it.

Make sure you've looked at http://techdocs.postgresql.org/
There are several Oracle porting guides there.

> 1. Does postgresql have the concept of table spaces as used in
> Oracle?

If you mean Schema, not yet. If you mean temporary tables, yes.
Otherwise, no. As far as I know, Oracle's "table space" construction
is not part of the SQL 92 or 99 standard.

> 2. Is it possible to construct the data base so that the index for a
> table can reside on a different disk to the data for the table?

Not practically. It can be done, but it would be an annoyance to
maintain. I'm curious about why someone would need this.

> 3. Is there an interface for postgresql which can be used to link the
> data base to web pages?

I'm sorry, you'll have to be more specific.

-Josh Berkus