Re: Function returning an array

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Francesco Casadei <f_casadei(at)libero(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function returning an array
Date: 2001-08-23 15:44:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

Ciao Francesco:

> What's the correct syntax to return two VARCHAR(255)?

There isn't one. At this time, functions cannot return arrays. Look
for a fix to this limitation with version 7.2 or later.

Jan Wieck and others have been working to extend functions so that they
may manipulate and return cursors. However, that functionality is still
in development and I don't know whether it will be included in the next
release.

In the meantime, I suggest that you take one of the following courses:

1. Delimit or tokenize your function output and parse it on the
receiving end into 2 fields (e.g. 'element 1|element2')
2. Do the operation in your middleware, where you can use C, Java,
Python or similar to pass arrays.

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 2 bytes