Re: [HACKERS] Off-topic: Communication. (was: Connect string again)

From: Michael Graff <explorer(at)flame(dot)org>
To: Peter T Mount <psqlhack(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail(at)Hamartun(dot)Priv(dot)NO>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Off-topic: Communication. (was: Connect string again)
Date: 1998-05-27 23:14:03
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Peter T Mount <psqlhack(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk> writes:

> What anoys me more with their versions of the "standards" is that they
> don't even keep to them within their own product range, or even with
> different versions of the same product.

What annoys me even more than that is that there is a growing group of
people who actually think that Microsoft invented the web, email (even
SMTP) and TCP.

I know it is hard to believe, but these people exist. They must be stopped.

> > These days, it's not always so easy. In many of the fora I follow,
> > things are still the way they were. The NetBSD mailing lists, for
> > instance, are easy to read -- almost everybody follows conventions.
>
> That's most probably because they are reading them on NetBSD machines.

Some are, some are not. We get many questions on the NetBSD mailing list
from "newbies" who format things right. I think the difference is we
aren't flooded by Microsloth's Following who just want to run the latest
cool toy.

--Michael