Re: Installation Report for powerpc-apple-netbsdelf1.5

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, prlw1(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installation Report for powerpc-apple-netbsdelf1.5
Date: 2000-08-07 16:40:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 2:20 AM +0000 8/5/00, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > I think what you're supposed to do in NetBSD is what was said earlier
> > (-Wl,-R/usr/whatever/lib). Sounds like that conflicts with a lot of
> > people's beliefs about how to do it on a lot of other platforms
> > though. It also breaks the "try the regression tests before
> > installing" feature.
>
>Not necessarily, since you can override the rpath setting with
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH (at least on Linux and presumably other gnu-capable
>systems).

Ah, I found it! It's LD_RUN_PATH on this platform (NetBSD/macppc).
At least we do have the (backward IMHO) Solaris-style workaround.
NetBSD/mac68k is still using xcoff so they have a /etc/ld.so.conf
file. That works much better for this situation.

FWIW the Linux crowd (MkLinux and LinuxPPC) are also using SysV/ELF
binaries while AIX/Darwin/MacOS X are using xcoff. I'm really not
sure that ELF is the step forward it's cracked up to be. I guess the
Linux folks are no happier with the situation.

It would appear that the correct thing to do for NetBSD/ELF is the
-W-R stuff and then set LD_RUN_PATH for the preinstall regression
tests. Sorry if that makes the configure setup more complex.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.
h(dot)b(dot)hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu