Re: pid gets overwritten in OSX

From: Francois Suter <dba(at)paragraf(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pid gets overwritten in OSX
Date: 2002-04-29 08:46:49
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

>>What is needed at this point is more observation. You need to determine
>>whether the postmaster is in fact starting (and later dying) or
>>failing to start at all --- ie, is the postmaster.pid file left over
>>from a previous system boot cycle? Checking the mod date of the pid
>>file might be enough to tell.

The error happened again during the week-end and I was able to
collect the following from Postgres' logfile:

Lock file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid" already exists.
Is another postmaster (pid 217) running in "/usr/local/pgsql/data"?

So it seems that the problem is that the postmaster.pid file can't be
overwritten. I checked the last mod date and it is indeed left over
from last startup. Any idea what could be causing this problem?

--------
François

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/
"A fox is a wolf who sends flowers"