Re: Re: Postgres vs. PostgreSQL

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Postgres vs. PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-04-11 17:57:45
Lists: pgsql-docs

At 7:27 AM -0700 4/11/00, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>
>> > Considering that there is up to this day no terminally universal way to
>> > pronounce 'Linux' (unless you know Swedish :), I don't think that's worth
>> > worrying about. Personally, I find PostgreSQL very pronouncable though.
>>
>> Me too: Post-Gres-Q-L ..
>
>Added to first FAQ item.

Maybe I'm too late, but can I cast a vote for the Southern California
convention?

I regard the switch to SQL query language as a historical artifact which
neither requires ongoing emphasis, nor justifies disinheriting ourselves
from our historical roots. We can easily support the postgres.org domain
name as an alias for the same machines as postgresql.org, and likewise in
the .com domain. I presume UCB already has the trademark for the postgres
name.

h(dot)b(dot)hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu