Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC (executing transactions coding style)

From: Ari Halberstadt <ari(at)shore(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC (executing transactions coding style)
Date: 1999-04-15 15:45:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro> wrote:
>I want to execute multiple SQL commands (also insert,updates and selects
>) in a transaction block.
>
>Is the following coding style correct ?

Use Connection methods: setAutoCommit, commit, and rollback(). So it would
look like this:

if (! con.getAutoCommit())
throw new SQLException("Already in a transaction");
try {
con.setAutoCommit(false);
st.executeUpdate("insert into ...");
con.commit();
} catch (Exception e) {
try {
con.rollback();
} catch (SQLException sqlex) {
// ignore
}
throw e;
} finally {
con.setAutoCommit(true);
}

I've actually defined a Transaction object that wraps all of this in an
object so I can't forget anything. Using it looks like this:

Transaction trans = new ExclusiveTransaction(conn);
try {
trans.begin();
statements...
trans.commit();
} finally {
trans.end();
}

This is a bit more concise, plus it rolls back if any exception is thrown
(including runtime exceptions). You can find these classes in my Magic
Cookie utilities download at
<http://www.magiccookie.com/computers/software.html>, or just browse the
javadoc or sources in package com.magiccookie.sql.transaction.* (follow the
javadoc or source links on the preceding url).

-- Ari Halberstadt mailto:ari(at)shore(dot)net <http://www.magiccookie.com/>
PGP public key available at <http://www.magiccookie.com/pgpkey.txt>