Re: [INTERFACES] Re: I am facing a difficult problem..

From: Ari Halberstadt <ari(at)shore(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: I am facing a difficult problem..
Date: 1999-03-29 11:09:20
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I asked recently about a similar problem. PosgreSQL limits rows to 8191
bytes. A solution is to split the data into segments. My application is a
bulletin board and messages can be pretty long. The data are split into
separate rows and are broken on word boundaries to keep the split clean
(and facilitate full-text searching if it were hosted with, say, Oracle
8i). Notice that you are also limited by query length. The code (in Java)
for doing the split turned out to be a bit involved.

-- Ari Halberstadt mailto:ari(at)shore(dot)net <http://www.magiccookie.com/>
PGP public key available at <http://www.magiccookie.com/pgpkey.txt>