Re: darwin pgsql patches

From: Peter Bierman <bierman(at)apple(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: darwin pgsql patches
Date: 2000-12-01 06:07:35
Lists: pgsql-patches

At 5:50 AM +0000 12/1/00, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>In your summary of MacOS-X, you indicated that we could assume a single
>supported flavor, since the two existing code forks will eventually
>merge. If there are not *other* Mac platforms which define "__APPLE__"
>and which could also run PostgreSQL, then that symbol would likely be
>the best choice for our inline tests.

Well, it's hard for me to say definitively. But I don't think there are other POSIX-like OS implementations that define __APPLE__

On a different note, the same kernel engineer wrote me back a few minutes ago to tell me that named semaphores actually started working with *today's* kernel. So it looks like running it on Mac OS X Public Beta will tickle a kernel bug in that release.

Any opinions on the best way to check for this and warn the user?

I'm thinking of creating a darwin_startup() called from backend/main/main.c that would check the system version and abort the startup if the system version is too old. I don't want to make it a compile time check, because I'm sure there will be people grabbing binary distributions after X-GM is available and trying them on X-PB.

-pmb

--
bierman(at)apple(dot)com

"4 out of 5 people with the wrong hardware want to run Mac OS X because..."
http://www.newertech.com/oscompatibility/osxinfo.html