Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] custom types and optimization

From: lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com (Richard Lynch)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL-general)
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] custom types and optimization
Date: 1998-06-02 19:22:11
Lists: pgsql-general

At 12:12 AM 6/1/98, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Users, we need to hear from you on this, and why you chose to use
>PostgreSQL. We don't need people foaming at the mouth, but we do need
>our users to give use good visibility and publicity.

I'm using pgsql because that's what my ISP has, and I'm having enough
trouble getting a compatible php compiled (since my ISP won't let me
compile) that I wouldn't even want to think about trying to get a backend
*AND* frontend compiled.

That said...

The more you can do to make the installation/upgade process easier for a
Unix sysadmin who probably isn't all that familiar with pgsql, the better.

There are lots of ISPs out there that want to offer more bullet points to
potential customers, and most of them are smart enough not to offer
something they don't really know how to support.

Perhaps a really low-valume mailing list specifically for ISP managers
would be an inducement.

And training in PostgreSQL for ISPs to ramp up would be a boon. In my
limited experience, most ISPs are so overloaded trying to keep their
hardware alive and staying up-to-date on the networking software they
already support, that adding a new package is extremely tough. Anything
pgsql developers can do to significantly lower that acquisition curve would
be good.

-- "TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com

  • Hey Bruce at 1998-06-02 20:02:43 from Tom Good