Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]

From: lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com (Richard Lynch)
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]
Date: 1998-07-24 19:50:34
Lists: pgsql-general

>On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Richard Lynch wrote:
>
>> At 8:28 AM 7/24/98, Marc Fournier wrote:
>>
>> > So, essentially, our VACUUM command provides functionality that
>> >Oracle *doesn't* have, right?
>>
>> Yes, but yours doesn't run automatically.
>>
>> <NAIVE>
>> Ideally, when one created a database, one could specify vacuum frequency
>> and/or time slot, and PostgreSQL would just do it...
>> </NAIVE>
>
>That's actually a good thought. Once we have it so that table-space is
>re-usable (ie. fill in the blanks), then going one step further and having
>something similar to that to 'vacuum' out fragmentation would be most
>cool...

Maybe I'm just still being naive, but I'm not seeing the dependency of
automation of vacuum on table-space reusability.

Or is it just that the there's only one hacker who can do it, and
table-space reusability is way more important? [Oui. D'Accord.]

If there is a dependency, I'd be interested in learning what it is. If
it's just a man-power thing, then I'm just wasting your time. Sorry.

PS:
I checked the "\h create database" It don't say nothin' about needing to
connect to template1 to create a database, nor does it say that it will
copy the current database as a starter, which may or may not be true...
The docs at postgresql.org also don't say nothin' about connecting to template1.

-- "TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com