Re: Brain dump: btree collapsing

From: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Brain dump: btree collapsing
Date: 2003-02-14 15:53:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:42:44 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
wrote:
>Instead of an actively maintained freelist on disk as per Alvaro Herrera's
>patch, I plan to use the FSM to remember where recyclable pages are, much
>as we do for tables.

Given that we have a mostly empty metapage per index, and the metapage
is in memory most of the time, using it for the freelist looks almost
like a free lunch.

I've picked up Alvaro's patch and played around a bit. Reviewing my
changes it turns out that most of them deal with the freelist. If you
are interested I can send my version of the patch to you or to the
list.

Servus
Manfred