Recovering Data from a crashed database

From: Eric Langheinrich <elanghe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Recovering Data from a crashed database
Date: 2010-04-29 19:35:00
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm looking for options to recover data from a crashed postgres database
server. We recently had a solid state storage device blow up taking the
database server with it.

The database is version 8.3, the pg_clog, pg_xlog and subdirectories of
pg_tblspc were wiped out with the crashed storage device. We do have the
files under /data/base.

pgfsck looked like the right tool for the job, but seems to be outdated and
lacking support for 8.3

I'm open to all options including outsourcing the data recovery. Any help is
appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric