Re: stack depth limit exceeded problem.

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: stack depth limit exceeded problem.
Date: 2005-09-24 12:38:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Linux has sigaltstack so you can catch the stack overflow signal (and
> other signals obviously, but that's its main use), but it's not terribly
> portable.

I rely on the signal handler that the JVM uses for page-faults (which a
stack overflow generally amounts to) and fpe exeptions so I know that
they will generate java exceptions in a controlled way (which I in turn
translate to elog(ERROR) on the main thread).

> What you really need to do is set the stack_base_ptr every
> time you execute postgres with a new stack; that preserves existing
> semantics.

Exactly!. What I'd really like to do in threads other than main is:

void* currentBase = switchStackBase(stackBaseOfMyThread);
PG_TRY
{
/* service the call here */
switchStackBase(currentBase);
}
PG_CATCH
{
switchStackBase(currentBase);
/* generate Java exception as usual */
}

> Signals are the only way the kernel can pass control unexpectedly so if
> you handle those, postgres would never know it's threaded. I do wonder
> if there are any other assumptions made...
>
> Have a nice day,

You too. And thanks for all your input.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren