Escaping strings for inclusion into SQL queries

From: Florian Weimer <Florian(dot)Weimer(at)RUS(dot)Uni-Stuttgart(dot)DE>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Escaping strings for inclusion into SQL queries
Date: 2001-08-22 16:11:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It has come to our attention that many applications which use libpq
are vulnerable to code insertion attacks in strings and identifiers
passed to these applications. We have collected some evidence which
suggests that this is related to the fact that libpq does not provide
a function to escape strings and identifiers properly. (Both the
Oracle and MySQL client libraries include such a function, and the
vast majority of applications we examined are not vulnerable to code
insertion attacks because they use this function.)

We therefore suggest that a string escaping function is included in a
future version of PostgreSQL and libpq. A sample implementation is
provided below, along with documentation.

--
Florian Weimer Florian(dot)Weimer(at)RUS(dot)Uni-Stuttgart(dot)DE
University of Stuttgart http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/