Re:Issue about memory order on ARM

From: 盏一 <w(at)hidva(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re:Issue about memory order on ARM
Date: 2019-12-02 04:22:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry to bother you, now I know that there is no problem here.

The model for reading and writing of PGXACT::xid and ShmemVariableCache->latestCompletedXid can be simplified as follows:

backend A backend B backend C
wlock(XidGenLock); wlock(XidGenLock); rlock(ProcArrayLock);
write APgXact->xid; write BPgXact->xid; read latestCompletedXid;
unlock(XidGenLock); unlock(XidGenLock); read APgXact->xid;
... read BPgXact->xid;
wlock(ProcArrayLock); unlock(ProcArrayLock);
write latestCompletedXid;
unlock(ProcArrayLock);

My previous problem was that C might not be able to see the value of APgXact->xid written by A because there was no obvious acquire-release operation during this. But now I find that there are already some acquire-release operations here. Because of the `unlock(XidGenLock)` in A and `wlock(XidGenLock)` in B and the rules introduced in [Inter-thread happens-before](https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/atomic/memory_order), we can know that the `write APgXact->xid` in A inter-thread happens before `write BPgXact->xid` in B. And `write BPgXact->xid` is sequenced before `write latestCompletedXid` in B according to rules introduced in [Sequenced-before rules](https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/eval_order). And similarly `write latestCompletedXid` in B inter-thread happens before `read latestCompletedXid` in C. So the `write APgXact->xid` in A inter-thread happens before `read APgXact->xid` in C. So C can see the value of APgXact->xid written by A.