Server-side killing of database connection (7.3.4)

From: Rune Froysa <rune(dot)froysa(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Server-side killing of database connection (7.3.4)
Date: 2004-02-13 09:11:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

I need to kill a connected database user. I'm able to find the pid
associated with the troublesome user. However, if I try killing the
process with any of INT, TERM or QUIT, all connected database users
get the message:

WARNING: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am
going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.

Is it possible to kill a connected user without shuting down the
database? I.e. something like "alter system kill session" in oracle.

Regards,
Rune Frøysa