Re: libplperl.so and libperl.so

From: Andrew - Supernews <andrew+nonews(at)supernews(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libplperl.so and libperl.so
Date: 2004-11-16 20:43:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2004-11-16, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> David Walker <david(at)cosmicfires(dot)com> writes:
>> This patch to postgresql-7.4.6/config/perl.m4 fixes the problem:

(The patch in question is based on suggestions of mine made in IRC, so I'll
comment on the technical details)

> Don't you think this is likely to break more cases than it fixes?
> You can't just arbitrarily say that no one else is going to need
> the ccdlflags.

The original configure script is _removing_ the contents of Config{ccdlflags}
from ExtUtils::Embed's output. The problem with this is that it removes a
flag which is necessary to locate the correct perl library on more or less
any system with dynamically-linked libperl. When perl is not dynamically
linked, then ExtUtils::Embed does not include those flags in the first place.

As I originally said in IRC, I do not know why the configure script is
trying to second-guess the ExtUtils::Embed output; however, what it is
doing clearly produces the wrong results.

> On the two platforms I checked it on, it seemed that the ccdlflags
> were a strict subset of what was in the ldopts result, so the
> proposed patch would make no difference, but I can't feel comfortable
> that it's true in general. (If it *is* true in general, then why
> does the patch fix your problem?)

You're not correctly understanding what it does.

Perhaps it would be clearer if you remove the temp vars and just set
perl_embed_ldflags to the output of `perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e ldopts`.

--
Andrew, Supernews