Re: Dual-CPU RAID database server: What Hardware ?

From: jdassen(at)cistron(dot)nl (J(dot)H(dot)M(dot) Dassen (Ray))
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dual-CPU RAID database server: What Hardware ?
Date: 2001-03-26 09:00:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Paul BOYER <Paul(dot)Boyer(at)SecurityKeepers(dot)com> wrote:
>As we are trying to determine the better hardware choice for a database
>server aiming to serve from 1GB up to 15GB with less than 10 connections
>from application servers, with rather intensive requests, operating
>__24x7__ under Linux.

For 24x7 availability, don't forget to look into UPSes, journaling
filesystems and good backups procedures and technology.

>-> Q3: Any experience for a database under Linux SMP with those cards ?

One of our database servers is a dual PIII-850 with a Mylex RAID controller
("DAC1164P PCI RAID Controller" according to dmesg) running PostgreSQL 7.0.3
under Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 with kernel 2.2.19pre17 without any problems
whatsoever (300+ days uptime under the previous kernel before it was
moved to a different location).

HTH,
Ray
--
Pinky, Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but if we give peas a chance, won't the lima beans feel