Antw: Re: Postgresql 7.4 fails to compile on Redhat Fedora Core 1 Linux

From: "Marcel Gsteiger" <Marcel(dot)Gsteiger(at)milprog(dot)ch>
To: <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Antw: Re: Postgresql 7.4 fails to compile on Redhat Fedora Core 1 Linux
Date: 2003-12-15 07:55:31
Lists: pgsql-ports

Tom,

I have deleted my source tree, untarred it again from the bzipped
source and could compile it last night more than 100 times without any
serious errors. I put a date command in front of each run. The stderr
output get from each run looks like this:

Mon Dez 15 03:32:40 CET 2003 - start make distclean/configure/make
make[3]: buildfile: Kommando nicht gefunden
make[3]: [distclean] Fehler 127 (ignoriert)
mkdir man7
In file included from preproc.y:6286:
pgc.c: In function `yylex':
pgc.c:1386: Warnung: label `find_rule' defined but not used
preproc.y: At top level:
pgc.c:3367: Warnung: `yy_flex_realloc' defined but not used
Mon Dez 15 03:35:08 CET 2003 - end make distclean/configure/make

Here are versions of my packages (some from
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/ )

gcc (GCC) 3.3.2 20031022 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1)
libgcc-3.3.2-1
bash-2.05b-31
make-3.80-4.rhfc1.at
automake-1.7.9-0_17.rhfc1.at
gawk-3.1.3-3
sed-4.0.8-1

It seems that I have become unable to reproduce the error...

regards
--Marcel

>>> Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> 12.12.2003 >>>
> I tried that and various combinations of switches and environments
but
> could not reproduce this.

I find it striking that both complainants reported that the issue went
away on a fresh build attempt. This seems to suggest that even on
configurations that can produce the problem, it only happens one time
in N, where we have little idea how large N is.

Marcel, could you try just doing "make distclean, configure, make"
ten or a hundred times overnight, and see if you get more failures?

regards, tom lane