Incremental Backups...

From: "Ian Harding" <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Incremental Backups...
Date: 2001-10-30 18:49:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks for the feedback. I am just getting this database on line so the dump file is relatively small (5 mb). It compresses to 1/8 that size, so I could do 8 backups a day and zip them for the same space. I tried the RCS trick, it worked very well and very quickly with this small backup file. I could do more frequent backups that way without increasing size too much. I think I will start with both, squirrelling away zipped backups and doing incremental diffs in RCS to see how they scale. Hard drive space is not an issue and won't be for a while, just planning ahead.

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549