Re: comp.database.postgresql.*

From: Wayne Brown <fwbrown(at)bellsouth(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: comp.database.postgresql.*
Date: 2004-11-11 21:39:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> And now, some time ago, PostgreSQL mailing lists were gatewayed
> into Big8 namespace, to help people access them by other means.
> Only it was done "unoffically", i.e. not following standard procedure
> for such things. It could be thought of as "hooking up" to neighbour's
> cable TV cables, only it does not involve stealing. ;) Well, I'm sure
> it's easy to find many better comparable situations. ;)
> Anyway, it's a bit kludgy, not following standards. It would be nice
> however to maybe go to the cable guys and tell them -- connect us
> officialy. Not because Oracle users did so. No, it's foolish reason.
> Because it's Right, because it makes us closer to Standards, because
> to be respected means to respect others. Etc, etc. etc.

Another analogy would be to squatters building houses on public land.
Then, years later, one of them goes to the zoning commission and tries
to get the proper permits issued to give them legitimate use of the land
they're occupying... but some of the residents want to stay unofficial
because they're afraid outsiders will want to move into the community
if it becomes "legal."

--
Wayne Brown (HPCC #1104) | "When your tail's in a crack, you improvise
fwbrown(at)bellsouth(dot)net | if you're good enough. Otherwise you give
| your pelt to the trapper."
"e^(i*pi) = -1" -- Euler | -- John Myers Myers, "Silverlock"