Re: pending patch: Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pending patch: Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown
Date: 2010-03-31 08:48:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Please add some docs that a) explains what the patch does and b) notes
> any changes from behaviour in previous releases. ISTM this is a major
> change in behaviour.

How about adding the following description into "17.5. Shutting Down
the Server"?

If the server is in recovery, it waits for all of the read only
connections to be closed.

And, where should the note be put in? AFAIK, the previous behavior
has not been documented anywhere.

> >From what I have seen, the comment about PM_WAIT_BACKENDS is incorrect.
> "backends might be waiting for the WAL record that conflicts with their
> queries to be replayed". Recovery sometimes waits for backends, but
> backends never wait for recovery.

Really? As Heikki explained before, backends might wait for the lock
taken by the startup process.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg02984.php

Regards,

--