Mirroring problem with PostgreSQL

From: "Shashi Kanth Boddula" <sboddula(at)novell(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Mirroring problem with PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-07-19 13:32:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

One of my client is facing one issue the with PostgreSQL . The details
are as follows .

1 . PostgreSQL version 7.4.8 is running on 2 Linux machine . One
acting as a primary database server and another one is acting as a
fail-over (secondary)server .
2. Primar & secondary servers are located at different locations
2. Using DBmirror utility to mirror the database from primary to
secondary .

With above setup , the problem is , there is a 1 day delay between
primary and secondary in the synchronization . That menas , if a client
put a record in the primary , it will sync to the secondary with delay
of 24 hours .

My question is , for above mentioned requirement , what is the currect
way to solve the problem . I would like to know Is there any other way
to solve this problem .

My idea is to implement DRBD to mirror the database between primary and
secondary . But , i want to know can DRBD suite this requirement or not
. And , is there any limitation while using DRBD in a WAN environment .

Thanks & Regards,
Shashi Kanth