Re: Question

From: "John Jensen" <jrj(at)ft(dot)fo>
To: <FBaron(at)co(dot)belcorp(dot)biz>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question
Date: 2005-02-23 18:08:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

First its bad style to use a generic subject like "Question". Use
something related to the specific problem. "Help" is an other poor
choice.

Second you need to put in a lot more information about your setup. As an
absolute minimum provide postgresql release and operating system.

Third it sounds like you've got some reading to do. The manual and this
book would be a good place to start:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/ppbook/book1.htm

While you read you should run the command "vacuum analyze", this is
going to take a REALLY LONG time. 12 to 24 hours wouldn't surprise me.
But at least the base will still be online although with degraded
performance.

When you've got a better handle on thing I suggest you do a pg_dumpall,
drop the base and perform a restore.

You are likely to run on a more or less outdated version so while doing
the dump and restore you should consider upgrading to the latest
version. The INSTALL document in the source distro tells how to perform
dump/restore when upgrading.

I'm able to do a dump of a 50Gig base in one hour but the restore time
depends a lot on what sort of index'es you have. Don't hold your breath
waiting. All this depends a lot on what sort of hardware you have.

Cheers,

John

>>> <FBaron(at)co(dot)belcorp(dot)biz> 23-02-05 17:11 >>>

Hi, I have a database with 100 GB size, I never have done a vacuumdb
it, analizyng, there is a table witn almost 25 GB, I have to run a
Vaccum
to clean it.. This is a longer operation.

But somebody said me that if I make a backup(pg_dump), drop the
database,
create db, an then restore again, tha database is cleaned(recover disk
space) and reindexed, is that true?
If is true, how long is this?

Thnaks for your help.

Fabio.