Why does app fail?

From: "Paul Simpson" <Paul(dot)Simpson(at)spgs(dot)org>
To: < <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>>
Subject: Why does app fail?
Date: 2004-02-24 11:21:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Like many here, I am fairly new to PostgreSQL having been forced to cut my teeth on M$ SQLServer. My apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, please advise if so!

We use a third party application to manage our student population. Part of the reason we purchased it is that it allegedly will run against "Any ODBC-Compliant back-end database". As I mentioned above, for various reasons we used the M$ product, but now want to move away and PostgreSQL on Linux is the obvious choice.

My problem is that the app won't initialise against PostgreSQL. I have contacted the vendor who simply says they don't support PostgreSQL. They only support M£ SQLServer, M$Access, Oracle and Ingres. No help from them!

I suspect the issue is with data types. I have already created a domain to map DATETIME to TIMESTAMP but I haven't got much further. Unfortunately, with nearly 700 tables, scanning them all isn't an option!

I have two possible solutions which I'd like advice on (which is better and / or how to do each).

1) If there is a log somewhere showing failed requests, I might be able to see what the application is trying to do and then figure out a way around it.

2) Is there a way I can configure PostgreSQL (probably temporarily!) to just look like M$ or one of the other supported systems?

I should mention that I am in the process of developing a new Web-Based front end to the database with the long-term aim of ditching the current application.

Any help would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Paul Simpson

ABOUT THIS E-MAIL
The information contained within this e-mail is privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.

Any opinions expressed in this electronic communication do not necessarily reflect official policy of St Paul's Girls' School.

If you are not the intended recipient of this document or any part then please:

1) : inform the sender at the above address
2) : delete this e-mail immediately
3) : do not take copies nor disclose the contents of this document to anyone

PUPILS' COMMUNICATIONS
Only Senior School pupils of St Paul's Girls' School are permitted to send electronic mail and then only via our controlled system.
It is contrary to school rules for any other pupil to do so and they are regularly reminded of this fact.

VIRUS PROTECTION
All electronic mail traffic sent from this establishment is monitored and scanned for viruses prior to sending.