Re: FW: Problem starting a session

From: "news(dot)verizon(dot)net" <ferindo(dot)middleton(at)verizon(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Problem starting a session
Date: 2003-02-04 02:40:23
Lists: pgsql-general

I edited the postgresql.conf file to to allow tcpip_socket to be true...
That section now looks like this within the file:

#
# Connection Parameters
#
#tcpip_socket = false
#edited below 2/1/03 by Ferindo Jr as root
tcpip_socket = true
#ssl = false

But when I type the command psql test from an x terminal, I still get that
weird error message merntioned in the email below. Any other ideas as to
what configuration variables may be wrong? I'm also having problems with my
sendmail configuration. About a month ago I installed the BIND DNS RPM on my
Redhat Linux 8 system and started trying to make changes to my localhost
name, and ever since I'm having problems with sendmail... I had never used
Postgre SQL before I made these changes and I think the changes I made to my
localhost 'name' probaably has something to do with this PostgreSQL server
problem also. I just became interested in learning PostgreSQL, after I had
already made the DNS changes. When I realized how much i was messing my
system up by installing the BIND rpm and making changes using the GUI
without reading the documentation first, I decided to uninstall BIND, but
now I'm still getting all these errors using sendmail and now I think it's
probably why Postgre isn't working. Thanks again for the help Justin and
rading my vent. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.... I'm think
about backing up all my data and reinstalling Linux to put all the
configuration files back to the defaults they were before I started playing
around with changing my hostname and playing with BIND without knowing what
I'm doing. Again thanks for the help... and any other suggestions before I
swipe this install and start all over gain would be appreciated.