Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo

From: "Holger Hoffstaette" <holger(at)wizards(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo
Date: 2008-11-13 13:30:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:33:26 -0500, Greg Smith wrote:

> You need to get one of the experimental builds that include slotted
> support. Take a look at
> http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/postgresql/wiki/ExperimentalFAQ and the
> page linked to by the blog article you mentioned at
> http://dev-zero.ch/blog/archives/6-PostgreSQL-Status.html

No, don't because those page are completely outdated.
Slotted 8.3.4 is in regular portage, though marked for testing (~). It
works fine, and so does updating those ebuilds to the very latest 8.3.5.

> This looks like it's still in the early stages of release, so you might

No.

> packages are (not) maintained on Gentoo. You really should consider just
> installing your own PostgreSQL from source rather than fooling with the
> official pacakges. I would wager it will take you less time to figure out
> how to do that than to fight these experimental packages into submission.

Your information is very outdated. There is exactly no reason to build
stuff yourself, especially since the OP doesn't seem to know what he's
doing anyway.

-h