DETERMINISTIC as synonym for IMMUTABLE

From: Troels Arvin <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: DETERMINISTIC as synonym for IMMUTABLE
Date: 2004-10-17 21:56:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

While reviewing PostgreSQL 8's SQL:2003 conformance (see the documentation
mailing list), I've come across a - possibly - easy-to-implement
conformance improvement for CREATE FUNCTION:

SQL:2003 uses the word DETERMINISTIC where PostgreSQL uses IMMUTABLE.
And SQL:2003 uses "NOT DETERMINISTIC" where PostgreSQL uses STABLE
or VOLATILE.

I suggest that DETERMINISTIC be added as a synonym for IMMUTABLE and that
"NOT DETERMINISTIC" be added as an alias for VOLATILE in PostgreSQL's
grammar for CREATE FUNCTION.

I might try creating a patch, but I'd rather spend my time finishing the
conformance review.

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark