INSTALL file nits

From: Rich Morin <rdm(at)cfcl(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: INSTALL file nits
Date: 2005-09-29 01:29:07
Lists: pgsql-docs

I just grabbed a copy of PostgreSQL from

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/postgresql.html

and installed it on my Mac OS X (Tiger; 10.4.2) machine. I followed the
"Short Version" in the INSTALL file until I ran into problems, then did
some workarounds, as discussed below. Perhaps this file should be made
a bit more explicit or an INSTALL.OSX file could be generated...

./configure
No reported problems.

gmake
No such command, but I ran "make --version" and saw that it
was GNU Make, so I used it. No reported problems.

su
This command requires a root password, which does not exist.
OSX uses "sudo -s" for this sort of thing.

gmake install
Used make; no reported problems.

adduser postgres
No such command. I considered using System Preferences > Accounts
to add a user, but this seemed like a rather bogus approach, as it
would put a user in the Login dialog (unlike lp, postfix, ...). I
found a (slightly dated) note from Apple, however, that suggested
just this approach, so I gave it a try.

http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/postgres.html

mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
No reported problems.

su - postgres
No reported problems (when run under sudo).

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test
No reported problems, but the last command left me at a prompt
with no particular instructions as to what I should do next.

-r
--
email: rdm(at)cfcl(dot)com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com - Canta Forda Computer Laboratory