postgresql.conf file and logging questions

From: admin(at)usachurch(dot)com
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql.conf file and logging questions
Date: 2004-03-28 01:32:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello list,

1. Where should the postgresql.conf file be to be recognized by the
service on startup? currently, it is inside my $PGDATA directory but
all of its contents are commented out.

2. I can't find any log files for postgres. Inside my /var/log/
directory, there is an empty
file called pgsql. What do I have to do to get it to log errors,
etc. Is there a difference between normal logging and syslog logging?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

Thanks,
Devin