postgres Mac OS X startup script

From: Ray Aspeitia <aspeitia(at)sells(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres Mac OS X startup script
Date: 2004-02-25 14:08:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hello,

I wanted to submit some changes to the bundled postgres startup
script for Mac OS X. I added calls to utilize the bundled apache
rotatelogs script in the DB startup for log rotation. Also modified
startup parameters file to allow using the "SystemStarter" utility to
start/stop/restart postgres with a rotating log file.

The script credits David Wheeler, 2002. I wrote him a message about
the changes an he suggested I post them here. I explain some of the
changes below.

Not sure how to submit the changes. I have 3 files, "PostgreSQL"
script, "StartupParameters.plist" file, "pg_startupscript.diff" file.
The diff file was run against the original "PostgreSQL" script file.
I'll try attaching them to this message. If they get filtered I can
resend if needed.

Thanks.

Ray A.

------------------------------------

1) Changed the "Provides" parameter in StartupParameters.plist to
"PostgreSQL" from "postgres database" simply for ease of typing. It
seems that the SystemStarter utility uses the "Provides" value if you
want to control the script. This way I did not have to enclose it in
quotes on commandline. The modified StartupParameters.plist is now an
XML document also.

2) For the startup script I added 2 user modifiable variables:

# do you want to rotate the log files, 1=true 0=false
ROTATELOGS=1

# logfile rotate in seconds
ROTATESEC="604800"

I also added a non modifiable variable:

# The apache log rotation utility
LOGUTIL="/usr/sbin/rotatelogs"

I modified the StartService and RestartService functions to execute
the new commands if the user wants log rotation.

Next:From: Jeff EckermannDate: 2004-02-25 14:40:41