Re: Suggested improvements to INSTALL file "Short Version"

From: Vicki Brown <vlb(at)cfcl(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Suggested improvements to INSTALL file "Short Version"
Date: 2003-02-16 17:22:02
Lists: pgsql-docs

At 15:10 +0100 2003-02-16, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>Vicki Brown writes:
>
>> 1) The "Longer Version" makes note of a "gmake check" option for testing.
>> This SHOULD be mentioned in the short version as well!
>
>Running the regression tests is not part of the essential installation
>procedure and is there not in the short version.

Excuse me? __Running tests is not "essential" __?
We must disagree. Running tests is ALWAYS essential.

>> 2) It should be noted here to set the shell as /bin/sh or something similar
>
>The Bourne shell is the standard Unix shell. Sorry.

Not anymore. Sorry.

>> 3) It should be noted here that the directory /usr/local/pgsql should also
>>be
>> chown'd to postgresql,
>
>The files under /usr/local/pgsql, except for the data directory, should
>*not* be owned by the postgres user.

That's not what I said. I said the DIRECTORY /usr/local/pgsql should be
chowned. Or it won't be possible to create the logfile.

>> or the logfile created below with the postmaster
>> command will not be able to be written.
>
>If you follow the commands *exactly* then the logfile cannot possibly be
>created under /usr/local/pgsql.

I followed the commands exactly.
su - postgres
puts you into the postgres home dir.

>If you alter some of the paths

I didn't.

>> 4) I can't help but wonder why the
>> make install
>> didn't do the adduser, create the data directory, and set ownership
>> correctly.
>
>Because make install installs files and that's it.

so it's a "design decision".

--
- Vicki

Vicki Brown ZZZ Journeyman Sourceror:
P.O. Box 1269 zz |\ _,,,---,,_ Scripts & Philtres
San Bruno, CA zz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ Perl, Unix, MacOS
94066 USA |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
mailto:vlb(at)cfcl(dot)com '---''(_/--' `-'\_) http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb