Re: pg_pconnect - ??

From: Chris Ruprecht <chrup999(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "PostGreSQL PHP Group" <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_pconnect - ??
Date: 2002-01-28 20:31:01
Lists: pgsql-php

Ok, so from what I see on here, pg_pconnect doesn't have any
advantages over pg_connect in my situation. I have the web server
running on the same machine as the database server and yes, I have
allocated 16384 shared buffers (at 8 KB each, this is 128 MB of
shared memory). I have not noticed any connect overhead when opening
a web page which connects to the database (99% of them do), the
connection is instantaneously, so I guess, I don't need to do
anything here.
I was under the impression, that a persistent connection would open
one and only one process which then will be used all the time without
creating more child processes which keep lingering about. I guess, I
was wrong here ...

Best regards,
Chris
--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre