Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 docs

From: Rich Morin <rdm(at)cfcl(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 docs
Date: 2002-02-27 01:08:58
Lists: pgsql-docs

At 7:23 PM -0500 2/26/02, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>Well, the internals.ps paper was removed for a reason, so I'd advise
>you not to print it.

And that reason would be??? Seriously, it seems like a useful paper;
even if it isn't needed in the distribution, it may be worth printing.

>Btw., how do you plan to format the material for printing?

I turn all material into PostScript, using whichever tool( chain)s seem
appropriate. I then run the PostScript files through a Perl script
which scales, translates, and adds descriptive footers. Finally, I
prepend some "front matter" (e.g., TOC, Preface) and concatenate the
result into a single PostScript document, which I "distill" into PDF
and send off to the printing firm, along with the volume's cover art.

The current set of PostgreSQL volumes used the distributed PostScript
files for the 7.1 books; the upcoming set will probably start from PDF
files, converted to PostScript by Adobe Acrobat (i.e., "Print to File").
I format the ASCII FAQs using a2ps (and a bunch of options :-).

-r

P.S. There is no entry for pgsql-docs on the "User's Lounge" web page,
so I can't subscribe. Also, there is a formatting error in the
HTML for the "pgsql-sql" entry on the page:

[archives pgsql-sql - This is a discussion area ...
]
--
email: rdm(at)cfcl(dot)com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm - my home page, resume, etc.