Re: Darwin/MacOSX 10.1.1 configure issues with b3

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Darwin/MacOSX 10.1.1 configure issues with b3
Date: 2001-12-01 00:20:03
Lists: pgsql-ports

At 3:36 PM -0500 11/30/01, Tom Lane wrote:
>"Henry B. Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov> writes:
>> Can't use tk. I loaded the alpha release of the native Aqua Tk port.
>> It gets me a Wish Shell.app, not a /usr/bin/wish. This seems
>> reasonable, but how do we get Postgres to use it? Can Postgres use
>> it?
>
>Hmm, AFAIK we only care about libtk, not wish; but possibly configure
>is looking for wish as a proxy for determining whether tk is installed.
>Feel free to propose a different test.

Well, if we want the library we should test for the library. Based
on simplistic poking around I would propose "does it work to do cc
tkt.c -ltk -ltcl" where tkt.c contains:

#include <tk.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
Tcl_Interp i;

Tk_InitImageArgs(&i, argc, &argv);
}

I'll try faking it out when I get a chance. Maybe a ln -s
/Application/... /usr/local/bin/wish.

> > The Tcl header files are in two different non-standard places. I had
>> to sudo ln -s to get links all in one directory since it appears you
>> can only have one --with-includes configure option.
>
> configure --with-includes="path1:path2:pathN"
>
>I believe this is documented.

*sigh* Oh, probably. Postgres is a big program with justifiably big
documentation. I've done the the install a few times so I *think* I
don't need to look at the documentation beyond ./configure --help.

Thanks for the tip anyway.
Henry(dot)B(dot)Hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu