Re: Fwd: Solaris build of 7.4 problem with

From: Seum-Lim Gan <slgan(at)lucent(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Solaris build of 7.4 problem with
Date: 2003-11-26 14:17:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Peter,

You are right. I looked at the man page and it does not
have the -pthread option but the -mt option.

Perhaps there is a way to automate and detect which
one it has ?

I find in the man page that there is another option
-###, which is like -# but does not actually execute:

The following options are interpreted by cc:

-# Show each component as it is invoked (verbose mode).

-### Show each component as it is invoked, but, unlike the
-# option, do not actually execute.

Maybe a better way is to do cc -flags and it will return
all the flags and then grep for pthread and see if it is a valid
option. Here is the output of cc -flags:

-# Verbose mode
-### Show compiler commands built by driver, no compilation
-A<name[(tokens)]> Preprocessor predicate assertion
-B<[static|dynamic]> Specify dynamic or static binding
-C Prevent preprocessor from removing comments
-c Compile only - produce .o files, suppress linking
-D<name[=token]> Associate name with token as if by #define
-d[y|n] dynamic [-dy] or static [-dn] option to linker
-dalign Expands to -xmemalign=8s
-E Compile source through preprocessor only, output to stdout
-erroff=<t> Suppress warnings specified by tags t(%none, %all, <tag list>)
-errtags=<a> Display messages with tags a(no, yes)
-errwarn=<t> Treats warnings specified by tags t(%none, %all, <tag
list>) as errors
-fast Optimize using a selection of options
-fd Report old-style function definitions and declarations
-flags Show this summary of compiler options
-fnonstd Initialize floating-point hardware to non-standard preferences
-fns[=<yes|no>] Select non-standard floating point mode
-fround=<r> Select the IEEE rounding mode in effect at startup
-fsimple[=<n>] Select floating-point optimization preferences <n>
-fsingle Use single-precision arithmetic (-Xt and -Xs modes only)
-ftrap=<t> Select floating-point trapping mode in effect at startup
-G Build a dynamic shared library
-g Compile for debugging
-H Print path name of each file included during compilation
-h <name> Assign <name> to generated dynamic shared library
-I<dir> Add <dir> to preprocessor #include file search path
-i Passed to linker to ignore any LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting
-keeptmp Keep temporary files created during compilation
-KPIC Compile position independent code with 32-bit addresses
-Kpic Compile position independent code
-L<dir> Pass to linker to add <dir> to the library search path
-mc Remove duplicate strings from .comment section of output files
-misalign Expands to -xmemalign=1i
-misalign2 Expands to -xmemalign=2i
-mr Remove all strings from .comment section of output files
-mr,"string" Remove all strings and append "string" to .comment section
-mt Specify options needed when compiling multi-threaded code
-native Optimize for the host system (-xtarget=native)
-noqueue Disable queuing of compiler license requests
-O Use default optimization level (-xO2)
-o <outputfile> Set name of output file to <outputfile>
-P Compile source through preprocessor only, output to .i file
-p Compile for profiling with prof
-Q[y|n] Emit/don't emit identification info to output file
-qp Compile for profiling with prof
-R<dir[:dir]> Build runtime search path list into executable
-S Compile and only generate assembly code (.s)
-s Strip symbol table from the executable file
-U<name> Delete initial definition of preprocessor symbol <name>
-V Report version number of each compilation phase
-v Do stricter semantic checking
-w Suppress compiler warning messages
-Xa Compile assuming ANSI C conformance, allow K & R
extensions (default mode)
-Xc Compile assuming strict ANSI C conformance
-Xs Compile assuming (pre-ANSI) K & R C style code
-Xt Compile assuming K & R conformance, allow ANSI C
-xa Collect data for tcov basic block profiling (old format)
-xalias_level=<a> Enable optimizations based on the specified alias_level
-xarch=<a> Specify target architecture instruction set
-xautopar Enable automatic loop parallelization (requires
WorkShop license)
-xbuiltin[=<b>] When profitable inline, or substitute intrinisic
functions for system functions, b={%all,%none}
-xc99[=<a>] Enable ISO C99 features, <a>={%all,%none}
-xcache=<c> Define cache properties for use by optimizer
-xCC Accept C++ style comments
-xcg89 Expands to -xarch=v7 -xchip=old -xcache=64/32/1
-xcg92 Expands to -xarch=v8 -xchip=super -xcache=16/32/4:1024/32/1
-xchar_byte_order=<o> Specify multi-char byte order <o> (default, high, low)
-xchip=<c> Specify the target processor for use by the optimizer
-xcode=<c> Generate different code for forming addresses
-xcrossfile[=<n>] Enable optimization and inlining across
source files, n={0|1}
-xcsi Allow C source code using non-ISO C compliant locales
-xdepend Analyze loops for data dependencies
-xe Perform only syntax/semantic checking, no code generation
-xexplicitpar Parallelize loops explicitly marked with directives
(requires WorkShop license)
-xF Compile for later mapfile reordering
-xhelp=<f> Display on-line help information f(flags, readme)
-xildoff Cancel -xildon
-xildon Enable use of the incremental linker, ild
-xinline=[<a>,...,<a>] Attempt inlining of specified user routines,
<a>={%auto,func,no%func}
-xipo[=<n>] Enable optimization and inlining across source files, n={0|1|2}
-xlibmieee Force IEEE 754 return values for math routines in
exceptional cases
-xlibmil Inline selected libm math routines for optimization
-xlic_lib=sunperf Link in the Sun supplied performance libraries
-xlicinfo Show license server information
-xloopinfo Show loops that parallelized (requires WorkShop license)
-xM Generate makefile dependencies
-xM1 Generate makefile dependencies, but exclude /usr/include
-xmaxopt=[off,1,2,3,4,5] maximum optimization level allowed on
#pragma opt
-xMerge Merge data segment into text segment
-xnolib Do not link with default system libraries
-xnolibmil Cancel -xlibmil on command line
-xO<n> Generate optimized code (n={1|2|3|4|5})
-xopenmp Enable OpenMP language extension
-xP Print prototypes for function definitions
-xparallel Perform parallel compilation
-xpg Compile for profiling with gprof
-xprefetch[=<p>] Specify instruction prefetch p
(auto,no%auto,explicit,no%explicit,latx:<n>.<n>)
-xprofile=<p> Collect data for a profile or use a profile to
optimize <p>={{collect,use}[:<path>],tcov}
-xreduction Recognize reduction operations in parallelized loops
-xregs=<r> Specify the usage of optional registers
-xrestrict[=<f>] Treat pointer valued function parameters as
restricted f(%none,%all,<function-name list>)
-xs Allow debugging without object (.o) files
-xsafe=mem Assume that no memory based traps will occur
-xsb Compile for use with the WorkShop source browser
-xsbfast Generate only WorkShop source browser information, no
compilation
-xsfpconst Represent unsuffixed floating point constants as
single precision
-xspace Do not do optimizations that increase code size
-xstrconst Place string literals into read-only data segment
-xtarget=<t> Specify target system for optimization
-xtemp=<dir> Set directory for temporary files to <dir>
-xtime Report the execution time for each compilation phase
-xtransition Emit warnings for differences between K&R C and ANSI C
-xtrigraphs[=<yes|no>] Enable|disable trigraph translation
-xunroll=n Enable unrolling loops n times where possible
-xvector<=yes|no> Automatic Generation of calls to vector
library functions
-xvpara Verbose parallelization warnings (requires WorkShop license)
-YA,<dir> Change default directory searched for components
-YI,<dir> Change default directory searched for include files
-YP,<dir> Change default directory for finding libraries files
-YS,<dir> Change default directory for startup object files
-Zll Create lock_lint database files (.ll)
-Zlp Compile for looptool profiling

Thanks.

Gan