Re: MAC OSX DB Question

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Thomas Castonzo <tcastonzo(at)mac(dot)com>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MAC OSX DB Question
Date: 2002-06-25 16:36:57
Lists: pgsql-ports

At 10:28 PM -0500 6/21/02, Thomas Castonzo wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to set up my database by entering the following command:
>"initdb -D /Users/Shared/PostgreSQL/data"
>
>I get the following message from the shell: "initdb Unknown command"

No offence, but I would suppose you're a Unix newby, though perhaps
an old hand at MacOS. This means that the initdb command isn't
stored anyplace the shell (command line interpreter) is looking for
it. Those places include /usr/local/bin, and a bunch of standard
system directories. So where is it?

That depends on how you installed postgres. If you
compiled/installed it yourself then the --prefix=<dir> configure
option would have determined that. (It defaults to /usr/local should
that should have been OK.) If you used some pre-built package then
the package description should have told you.

Once you find the location then you can add a line to your ~/.cshrc
file like: "setenv PATH $PATH:<location>" start a new terminal
window and you're all set.

Good luck.
Henry(dot)B(dot)Hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu