Re: add darwin/osxpb support to cvs

From: Bruce Hartzler <bruceh(at)mail(dot)utexas(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>, Michael Engelhart <mengelhart(at)earthtrip(dot)com>
Subject: Re: add darwin/osxpb support to cvs
Date: 2000-11-01 02:07:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

>Greetings.
>
>I installed parts of your patch, which should at least get you, or other
>interested people going.
>Open issues:
>
>* Dynamic loader code that's under a BSD license. I've just installed
>dummy files for now.

Thanks Peter,

I heard back from Fred about the dynamic loader code. He gave the ok
to use it outside the Apache license (see below).

>* It was reported that the assembler doesn't like the__powerpc__ code in
>backend/storage/buffer/s_lock.h. Your code looks essentially the same, so
>it seems to be a syntax discrepancy between the GNU assembler and whatever
>your system uses. Perhaps we could check if the altered code works on
>other systems as well before we install duplicates? (The GNU assembler
>ought to be pretty flexible.)

You are probably right. Apple's gcc-based compiler was split off from
the main tree a while back when they were adding a bunch of
NEXT-based objective-c compiling routines to it. I know people have
been trying to merge the changes back into the main gcc tree (and new
gcc changes into Apple's) but I don't know how long this process it
going to go on for. For now though, it won't compile the other PPC
code already in there.

>* Semaphore support reportedly does exist in new kernels, so I don't think
>we need to add that to the tree. Maybe a separate patch for older kernels
>is in order.

This sound fine with me. The C++ stuff worked ok with the cvs tree.
The Tcl stuff is on the way and might be working now (it's on the
Darwin cvs server). I'll look into ODBC.

Thanks for your help,

Bruce